Sunday, October 25, 2009

I was going to call this post 'lost in translation' but that's so clichéd...

Here's a sonnet I like by the 16th century Portuguese writer Luis Vaz de Camões. The first is in the original, the second a direct translation, the third a more popular rendering:

Erros meus, má fortuna, amor ardente
em minha perdição se conjuraram;
os erros e a fortuna sobejaram,
que para mim bastava o amor somente.

Tudo passei; mas tenho tão presente
a grande dor das cousas que passaram,
que as magoadas iras me ensinaram
a não querer já nunca ser contente.

Errei todo o discurso de meus anos;
dei causa [a] que a Fortuna castigasse
as minhas mal fundadas esperanças.

De amor não vi senão breves enganos.
Oh! quem tanto pudesse que fartasse
este meu duro génio de vinganças!

**********************************************

My errors, cruel fortune and ardent love
conspired to bring about my ruin;
the errors and fortune were superfluous,
since love alone would have done as much.

Although it’s over, the dreadful pain
of what I suffered is still so vivid
that I, with bitter rage, have learned
never to try to be happy again.

In life and words I’ve always strayed,
giving Fortune cause to punish
my poorly founded hopes.

In love I’ve known just brief illusions.
Oh! if only my ruthless Genius
would have its fill of wreaking vengeance!

**********************************************

My errors my loves my unlucky star
these three things have been my curse.
My luck and my errors were bad enough
but love was the worst.

I have survived. But the pain
has bitten so deep in the bone
the rage and grief will not let go --
too hurt to want contentment now.

The blunders scattered through my life
are like a broken rosary.
I gave myself to fortune; fortune broke me.

Of love there is hardly a ghost left.
O who, what angel of power can assuage
my terrible demon of revenge!

What's more important, direct translation, or a translation that perhaps diverges from the original meaning of the individual words but captures something more of the original sentiment?

No comments:

Post a Comment